Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Staying On Task

I have made a few confessions on here before and today I would like to add one more to the growing list. I am a scatter brain. Yep. Big time. And, to tell you the truth, this does not mesh well with the side of me that likes things clean and organized and efficient.

Since Jaron has been around I have tried many ways of structuring my day- even tried having no structure at all. (Needless to say that didn't go over so well. I would love to be one of those moms that just has it all together effortlessly. You know, the ones who can cook spaghetti sauce in a white shirt with nary a drop of tomato juice to show for it. Are those types of moms for real, or just a rumor?!?!)

The problem is I get off task so easily. (See above tangent as an example.) Nothing gets done while I am trying to get everything done at once. Specifically, I struggle in the area of maintaining a clean house.

I have come to grips with the fact that I need a routine to follow. I have tried several cleaning/daily schedules and none have worked for my day. I cannot stand to follow something line by line. I am bit of a rebel like that. I need some room to be flexible and spontaneous.

Finally, this week, I have found the one that works! Here it is in all it's glory....

First of all, this is just for house hold chores. Since this is where my biggest problem areas are, this is what I focused on planning out. Notice, no time slots. I can't do time slots. (Did I say that already?)

The "Quick Fix" tasks are those which get done daily and in about 30 minutes or less- manageable since I have a small house. All other chores are slotted out by day. This frees me up to only stick to what is on the list for that day. No more running ragged with half completed tasks.

I have been following this for about a week and so far so good. No more unruly piles of laundry. No more out of control clutter. Just a clean house that is much easier to dwell in! A clean house is like a breath of fresh air to me.

How bout you? Do you follow a schedule, or do you have spaghetti droplets all over your white shirt?