Friday, January 05, 2007

2007 Already?

I do not make New Years Resolutions very often. I would rather not make a list of things that will never get checked off. However, last year I realized that ONE resolution was a must. It was the all to common determination to lose weight. I had finally come to the point of surrender- "if I don't do this now, I will never do it."

In January of 2006 I kicked off the weight loss plan of eating smaller portions, of better foods, throughout the day. I also started with baby steps of working out- something I loath doing. By July I had lost around 35 lbs. with hopes to lose another 15 or so.

It was about then that we found out I was pregnant. Weight loss plan... bye-bye.

So, now here it is 2007 and I can say- WITHOUT GUILT- that I weigh about the same that I did at this time last year.

The cool thing for me is that I did accomplish my goal. I lost weight in 2006. And, I realized that I can make the same New Years Resolution this year and see it happen. Granted I will just get bigger over the next few months, but come April I expect to see a sudden and significant drop in my overall size. ;)

On a serious note: Paul exhorts us in Ephesians- "make the most of every opportunity". I stumbled upon these 10 questions that I think can help set a good frame of mind for making the most of 2007.
  1. What's one thing you could do this year to increase your enjoyment of God?
  2. What's the most humanly impossible thing you will ask God to do this year?
  3. What's the single most important thing you could do to improve the quality of your family life this year?
  4. In which spiritual discipline do you most want to make progress this year, and what will you do about it?
  5. What is the single biggest time-waster in your life, and what will you do about it this year?
  6. What is the most helpful new way you could strengthen your church?
  7. For whose salvation will you pray most fervently this year?
  8. What's the most important way you will, by God's grace, try to make this year different from last year?
  9. What one thing could you do to improve your prayer life this year?
  10. What single thing that you plan to do this year will matter most in ten years? In eternity?
These questions are not meant to lay a quilt trip. For me, they were simply a good reminder of what really matters in life.

Here's to making the most of every opportunity!