Wednesday, October 08, 2008

My Happy Journal

I tend to be a bit of a serious person. I love to laugh and have fun, but I often find myself so focused on whatever task it at hand that I forget to enjoy the process. Having a child helps with this a lot- especially one like Jaron who loves to make people laugh.

Recently I joined a woman's bible study and I am loving it. They ladies leading the study bought journals for everyone and had us design our covers in anyway we wanted. Since I have been feeling to serious lately I focused on decorating mine with "Happy" words. Family, laughter, joy, passion, adventure, etc. I also included one of my favorite quotes, "He who hath not a dram of folly in his mixture, hath pounds of much worse matter in his composition." (Charles Lamb)

I have been using my journal every night to jot down my favorite happy memories from the day. It has become a great exercise of remembrance for me. I have noticed that as I go about my day I am more aware of the fun things that happen. It will be fun to look back and see all the small things that brought me joy throughout my year. :)

Well, yesterday, I was cleaning up in the kitchen when Jaron disappeared into my bedroom. He loves to roll around on our bed and throw himself down on our pillows, so I did not think much of it. After a few minutes I noticed it was WAY too quiet. I went in to peak on him and found him taking a pen to my journal cover. Pretty much the whole front cover was marked out by baby scribble.

Oh, did I mention there was also pen on my duvet cover?

Yeah, he had made a masterpiece. And he was SOOO proud of himself. He stood there clapping his hands excited for me to see his work of art.

My first response was to get upset at the mess he had made. But when I looked down into his sweet little face, my heart melted. I guess the point of the happy journal is to LIGHTEN! UP! and this was just the time to start.

I love that God has a sense of humor!