Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Getting Out Of A Funk

Last week was tough. Jaron was not napping well and I was really struggling with some emotions gone haywire. (I think my hormones, post pregnancy, are still settling in a year later.) I found myself tearful and depressed for no apparent reason. There was not really anxiety or fear, just an unexplained sadness.

Does anyone else ever have times like this, 'cos I often feel like I am the only one around who struggles with this?!

Anyway, my mom was a huge source of encouragement, as was my friend Sarah. I told them both that I can usually be uplifted through worship music or scripture, but was having a hard time finding such inspiration last week.

Then I heard this song... for the umpteenth billion time... but hearing it last Friday was like hearing it for the first time. It pulled me out of my funk... these lyrics especially spoke to me...

Praise Him under open skies
Everything breathing praising God
In the company of all who love the King
Let us dance, let us sing
It could be heavenly
Turn the music loud and sing....

Wherever you are
Wherever you've been
He's been there


Open Skies, by David Crowder Band

After hearing that song it was as though the wall crumbled and I was able to find freedom and release. I am sure that hard days will come again, but for now the fog has lifted.

Do you have days (or weeks) like this? What gets you out of your funk? Is there a go-to scripture or song that pulls you through the mucky stuff?