Monday, April 21, 2008

Captivating

A year or so ago I read through the book, Captivating, by John and Stasi Eldredge. For some reason or other I never finished the book, or the chapter reviews I was writing for another blog I had. Recently, I picked up the book again and I am just about to complete it.

I feel that this book, and more specifically it's guided journal, have transformed my thought life regarding beauty and self worth.

The past few months have been tough for me in all areas regarding my looks, weight, beauty, personality... you get the picture. I am not one to obsess about myself. I am not one to be particularly concerned about what others think of me. And yet lately these things have consumed me as I have allowed my self worth to be determined by what others say and think of me. I realized I was being foolish and that is when I pulled this book from the shelf once again.

As with any "self help" book on the market, I did not agree 100% with all that was said. And there were several things that took some time, and work, and outside dialogue in order for me to settle the issues within myself. However, I have found that the Lord really used the words and ideas in this book to encourage and uplift me.

If you are interested in reading Captivating I highly recommend picking up the Guided Journal also. For me, it is what made the biggest impact. Not because someone, or something, was telling me how to think; but because as I wrote out my thoughts it became so apparent how twisted they were. I do feel I must warn you, the questions asked are not easy. I have found myself skipping over some for fear of what they will drudge up!

Look for my summary/review of Chapter 1, The Heart of a Woman, next Monday morning.