Friday, November 16, 2007

The Joys Of Marriage

Ever had a disagreement with your spouse? An argument in which you were totally passionate about your cause? One where you KNEW you were right and any thought contrary to yours must be absolutely, without a doubt Wrong, with a capital W?

And then, somehow in the middle of all the talking, your spouse utters a phrase that knocks the breath right out of you?

Not a mean phrase, mind you. Not a vindictive phrase. Just a simple sentence, made in honesty sincerity, that cuts your feet right out from under you. I'm talking about the phrase that makes you realize how oh-so-Wrong YOU were?

Uh, huh. That one.

Ouch. It hurts.

Pride tumbles in ruins. You sit there, mouth agape and you have no comeback because you are/were so totally WRONG. And you must swallow your smugness and humbly ask for forgiveness.

Yep, that is why I am awake at 3 am. Because I have a big mouth and now I need to make good use of it to say sorry.

I'm sorry.
I was wrong.
Will you forgive me?

Simple, but dang if it ain't hard for me to admit.