Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Lesson Number One...

Originally posted August 1, 2006.

So, I am having some growing pains. That familiar, dull ache, deep in the bones. The kind that requires stretching and changing positions to ease the tension.

I am not a huge fan of any kind of pain (who is?) however, growing pains are really the pits. Relief is not quick in coming and Advil doesn't usually cut it.

I am not big on stretching either. Fitness experts tell me that I am supposed to stretch before/after (debate the proper time to stretch amongst yourselves) working out to prevent the pulling of "something." I, being the amazing athlete that I am, skip this step more often than not. For one, I am an amazing athlete and stretching is for beginners. (Please keep the laughing down; I am trying to make a point here.) Secondly, if I am going to pull "something" it will be while I am stretching. I am that good. Yes, I am. :)

I also quite dislike having to change sleeping positions before I am good and ready. It takes me a while to get comfortable, and therefore it takes me a while to fall asleep. So, once I snuggle into that perfect spot, I like to lounge in it for a while.

But that's just me.

The torture I am experiencing these days is growing pains of the spiritual variety. Yes, I know, spiritual growth is considered a good thing. Why then, does this good thing require pain?

I can hear Mr. Breuninger (my HS bible teacher) now... (insert deep, wise, slightly sarcastic voice here) "Well, you know Tozer once said, 'Complacency is the deadly enemy of spiritual progress. The contented soul is the stagnant soul.' "

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I get it.

So, here is the first lesson I've learned since this round of growing began...

"Let no one look down on your youthfulness, but rather in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity, show yourself an example of those who believe... Take pains with these things; be absorbed in them, so that your progress will be evident to all. Pay close attention to yourself..."

1 Timothy 4: 12, 15 & 16

LESSON SUMMARY: Take "pains" and pay close attention to the areas of speech, conduct, love, faith and purity. These things show others who I really am.

And hopefully, they reflect that I am a struggling, but GROWING, follower of Christ.

Grrr... where's the Advil?